Student Council is a student-based civic organization designed to help promote school spirit, leadership among students, and advocacy work on the behalf of its constituency. Students participating in all levels of the Council (Grades 5-12) should maintain a high standard of personal conduct and academic excellence for the duration of their term.
Student Council (SC) exists to serve, advance, and protect the interests of the students at the Modern American School. It will serve as the vehicle of communication between the students and the school community, upholding the SC Constitution, and empowering students through a plethora of extracurricular activities that instill in them a sense of leadership, responsibility and a sense of community.
- To foster communication among students, administrators, staff, and the community.
- To promote, organize, and execute activities that encourage school spirit.
- To develop good citizenship.
- To promote harmonious relations throughout the entire school.
- To improve student/faculty relationships.
- To provide a forum for student expression.
- To plan special events, projects, charity, and school celebrations and special occasions.
Members of the Council
There are 8 members of the Council in each of the Middle School and High School:
- Class Presidents of each Grade Level: Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Senior
- Student Council Officers: Student Body President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
The Council has faculty advisers who are able to introduce students to leadership opportunities in meaningful age-appropriate ways, guide students through the processes of identifying and planning projects and activities, and help students understand the responsibilities that go with their leadership roles.
Candidates seeking membership must be in good standing with school faculty, students, and administration with a GPA of at least 3:0. This is not negotiable.
Student Council officers will be elected during the first month of each new academic year. Each candidate must campaign and present a brief speech to the whole student body stating his/her plans for the office once elected.
Promoting social awareness is an integral part of the work of the Student Council. Council members are fundamental in the organization and promotion of charitable works in the school. The innovative and collaborative approach of the Student Council ensures the success of charitable activities and promotion of school spirit.
Apart from the leadership opportunities that the officers will have, Student Body and Senior Class Presidents enjoy the privilege of delivering the graduation speeches. Being elected to one of the Student Council offices is looked upon very favorably by Admissions Officers at top-tier and highly selective universities.